Author Topic: Community News: Returning to integrity and transparency.  (Read 9087 times)

Offline Arran

• The Proud Founder
  • L5 Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Ingame: [CIT]Arran
Dear community,

When I first started this community 8 years ago, as you can tell by the name of this community, I wanted to create a community which was better than the rest, not just better scripts but better morals. So I picked 2 things which I felt would be important, integrity and transparency. Ever since the beginning we faced challenges, the insult I found funniest was "CIT is merely a byproduct of [some MTA server]". [some MTA server] was the name of the server that I worked on for 6 months, I made most of the scripts for it, I felt very limited working under someone who didn't actually have the communities best interest at heart. Eventually I couldn't tollerate the constricting feeling any more so I knew I had to make my own server.

Thanks to many of the players from the previous server who knew I could make a better community, came with me. Together we worked on developing the community so that others would play. We quickly rose to become the number 1 MTA community. Unfortunately more players meant more trouble makers and we used to have unbearable denial of service attacks that would last weeks, there are many problems that I have had to handle that nobody else to this day even knows happened. A lot of time was lost to problems so I had less and less time to be the community leader that I used to be. These problems also brought with them a lot of stress. Unfortunately some of that stress was taken out on players such as issuing harsh and unnecessary punishments and or insulting players. So in a way I became what I was trying to get away from in the first place. For that I am sorry.

I also chose to focus too much on fixing hundreds of bugs and adding thousands of features to the server when I could have perhaps spent that time better being a community leader and making sure we remained the community that I first set out to create. I allowed staff members to get away with too much, too many times did staff members insult people and I was too busy scripting to care. For allowing them to behave like this, I am sorry.

I can do better and I will do better, no longer will I let staff members being abusive go unchallenged, this includes private chats. I will also regularly check the administrative complaints board to make sure that the genuine complaints are being handled. If you have any ideas on how we can improve the community or would like to share your feelings and experiences this topic is open for you to do so. I've always wanted what's best for the community but what I thought was best (making scripts better) resulted in me neglecting other things too much (the human side of the community). That's my bad.

Also, we will be re-opening a forum board for suggestions, it will also have sub boards for each sub-community (Mafia Wars, Law Enforcement, Criminal Life, Civilian Workers) so that these sub boards can be moderated by well known members of those sub-communities and players will have to manually post if they agree or disagree with an idea this way only players who are actually part of that sub community can influence the future of it.
Read this guide before PMing / mentioning me
Failure is simply an opportunity to begin again more intelligently - Henry Ford
Next time you feel lonely, think about your white blood cells, because from birth to death, they're always there for you, fighting for you, like your own private army, your body is an entire world, a world of pure epicness - Me

Offline Annex

• Donator L2
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Group: eXodus
  • Ingame: Annex
  • Squad: Mada/Cydia/Tmax
Re: Community News: Returning to integrity and transparency.
« Reply #1 on: 04 06, 2018, 12:01:55 am »
I'm just fucking bothered that certain staff members are hypocritical as fuck, from making death threats to insulting those who actually contribute to the community.

Then call players out for doing a fraction of the things they do, Brian; you get mad when players are ungrateful towards you and your undeniable contributions, yet you fucking call Tmax "stupid as fuck" for going out of his way to make a vast amount of paint jobs for players to enjoy?

And bloating that you've got MadaFaka's address, c'mon what are you? 12? Threatening to go to his home with a katana, pretty sure that's a permanently bannable offense if you didn't have that L5 status and were a common xCM like the rest of us were.

How can you act so high and mighty when your record is dirt shit? Maybe I don't have the best reputation, but surely I'm no worse than you are at this point. If I get banned for "racism" or for saying something 20 months ago on CIT because someone doesn't like honesty, don't be surprised if this update is nonsense.

Also, at least there's a bit of good news in the mix, we as a community can engage in discussions now, and actually contribute in a moderated way. Gg Arran.

I'd also like to add:

Let me give a very clear warning to all of you thinking about donating skins:
Brian is/has been taking note of your home addresses (from PayPal) and threatening to use it against you if he doesn't like you on a game.
« Last Edit: 04 06, 2018, 12:08:14 am by Annex »

tmax cydia nk2 mada inko LUL

Offline Arran

• The Proud Founder
  • L5 Staff
« Reply #2 on: 04 06, 2018, 12:09:16 am »
Brian should apologize for the bad behaviour that I allowed him to get away with these past years. I'm pretty sure I told him he needs to do some stuff like meditate. Anyone who finds themselves insulting people so much (a lot of people online it seems) should be asking themselves why are they so angry and then try to address that problem, otherwise you just end up forever taking it out on others and the cycle of anger we see in this world never ends until we stop passing it on to others.
Next time you feel lonely, think about your white blood cells, because from birth to death, they're always there for you, fighting for you, like your own private army, your body is an entire world, a world of pure epicness - Me

Offline Harper

• BNA Leader
  • Police Chief
  • Devoted
    YearsYearsYearsYears
  • Group: 99|BNA
  • Ingame: Harper
« Reply #3 on: 04 06, 2018, 12:11:20 am »
The fact that we now have someone who's neutral, listening to us, is a good feeling and makes this community way more comfortable. Biasment and corruption is all over the staff team, and that should be prioritized as the first thing to pay attention to.

About the suggestion board, I have recently written a few words about the old suggesting ways, including the old development board and the current /vision system in-game, explaining how broken these two very similar systems can be. I also offered a new alternative to the old developement, which in my opinion will bring more effiecent results.

Offline Kratos

• Regular Community Member
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Group: FFH
  • Ingame: Kratos
  • Squad: XXXTentacion
« Reply #4 on: 04 06, 2018, 12:13:03 am »
This has been going on for a very long time yet you decide to talk about it now? The things I've seen some staff members say have been going on for a long time and you're telling me you haven't noticed it happening? Luckily there was someone who was able to show us what's behind closed doors.
Ex. Criminal Boss
Ex. FightForHonor Boss
Currently CIT Legend

A goal without a plan is just a wish!
- Kratos

Offline Arran

• The Proud Founder
  • L5 Staff
« Reply #5 on: 04 06, 2018, 12:17:29 am »
This has been going on for a very long time yet you decide to talk about it now? The things I've seen some staff members say have been going on for a long time and you're telling me you haven't noticed it happening? Luckily there was someone who was able to show us what's behind closed doors.

I don't see everything that is said but the things I do see, I acknowledge that I neglected to care about things I should have cared about and shouldn't have allowed it to continue happening.

guest50560

« Reply #6 on: 04 06, 2018, 12:26:10 am »
Dear community,

When I first started this community 8 years ago, as you can tell by the name of this community, I wanted to create a community which was better than the rest, not just better scripts but better morals. So I picked 2 things which I felt would be important, integrity and transparency.
Transparency is a big word, but how far are you, as the owner, willing to go? Does transparency include for example chatlogs the regular player does not have access to?

As someone who hasn't been staff and got a copy of all the chatlogs from the IRC, I ask you, what do you have to hide from players? Why can't it be also transparent?

Offline Franco

• TSF Founder
  • L5 Staff
  • FORZA ITALIA!
    • The Street Fighters
  • Group: TSF
  • Ingame: [CIT]Franco
« Reply #7 on: 04 06, 2018, 12:31:53 am »
Transparency is a big word, but how far are you, as the owner, willing to go? Does transparency include for example chatlogs the regular player does not have access to?

As someone who hasn't been staff and got a copy of all the chatlogs from the IRC, I ask you, what do you have to hide from players? Why can't it be also transparent?

There is information that is meant to be private,that information can be used to harm other community members and that is only one of the reasons of why certain information must remain private, for your own safety.

EDIT: I am not justifying anything.
« Last Edit: 04 06, 2018, 01:21:21 am by Franco »

Online ElTongaZ

• Senior Community Member
  • Fly on... Little wing
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Steam
  • Group: BNA
  • Ingame: ElTongaZ
  • Squad: Anti Riot
« Reply #8 on: 04 06, 2018, 12:32:54 am »
I feel many of us (including me) should apologize for the stuff we said about the recent events, I guess no one can get the full picture, I didn't know all the stuff xbox said and just commented based on what I knew, many of us did. I guess we should leave that topic behind and learn for a better future.

It's understandable that carrying the weight of owning a +600 players a day server results in a lot of stress and it's comforting that you accept those mistakes. I believe in process, in failure and success; everyone should stand by those words, learn that everyone can fail and not go harsh on them; when a feature gets added or something is changed that many don't like and everyone goes "this is shit" "this server gets worse everyday", I'm sure that must be discouraging.

I'm just happy after all this time the server is still running, hell, I went inactive for 5 years and came back and everything still works, it's not an abandoned project
Money is an abstract form of human happiness, so who is no longer able to appreciate the true human happiness, is completely dedicated to it

Spanish Board Moderator | BNA Special Agent SCU Commander | Anti Riot Commander

Offline Phorpride

• BNA Founder
  • Police Chief
    YearsYearsYearsYears
    • BNA Website
  • Group: BNA
« Reply #9 on: 04 06, 2018, 12:35:40 am »
I believe that our server is being whipped by the staff cartel who indirectly influence in the most important factors of it. To start with, the logs released by xb0x prove how in some cases specific staff members result to be highly abusive and hypocrite. It goes from trivial trash-talking to several coups and negative talks being planned against groups. At least in my case I am very demotivated just as many of my folks, realizing that a group of people is behind terrible acts. For example, the horribly corrupted Group Affairs Managers who spread hate on groups like USNS whilst they deserved a chance, or high-staff calling this group cunts and cursing their chances to re-gain their lost levels.
3 players from the same group as group affairs managers and one is the assistant manager of the system. Is that meant to be okay? Possibly. But after reading some of the exposed logs I realized that there was clear signs of bias and attempt to take enemy groups down. I seriously think that this are one of the few things that demotivate players the most because this is the kind of influence and abuse that ruin the game. I highly suspect that there are staff members abusing their powers or at least they have shown to not be worthy of staff position. I'm nobody to judge, but they're not in position to mistreat players and groups either. I would like to mention a group of staff members that seem to be neglecting but I prefer to mention this list private before this turns into a drama.

Are you interested in a career with a law enforcement agency? The Bureau of Narcotic Administration is now hiring new employees!
Click here for details

Offline Epozide

• Junior Community Member
  • You think, you exist.
    YearsYearsYears
    • Listen to me
  • Group: SAPD
  • Ingame: Epozide
  • Squad: 404
« Reply #10 on: 04 06, 2018, 12:39:42 am »
I am thankful you released such a topic. CIT needs higher moderation from you, Arran. A lot of staff act like they're our gods, not staff. Mentioning that staff means to help people and serve them. However, we don't need servants. We need to deal with humans with humanity, common sense, and tradeful respect. They help us to make the server a better place with no rule breakers, and we help them in creating a more powerful and integrated strong community. I hope you really do as you said to return a good community again. Thanks.
Not only a group, but family.

Offline aussieboy32

• Senior Community Member
    YearsYearsYears
  • Group: CockneyZ
  • Ingame: Tᴍᴀ✘
  • Squad: FLA
« Reply #11 on: 04 06, 2018, 12:43:04 am »
At this point I have nothing to say but to congratz Arran for stepping up and taking matters into his own hands, finally. Atleast now we'll be able to enjoy the game, enjoy a much better community and serve it in even better ways.

Sidenote: I'll be posting later again as I need time to process what just happened.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"
Albert Einstein

Offline Vici

• Donator L2
  • left this game
    YearsYears
« Reply #12 on: 04 06, 2018, 12:46:58 am »
In contrast to what everybody else said, I think the "integrity" part of CIT diminished a long time ago in respect to the players (including me), not the admins. There is obvious fault in the admins (whatever the reason maybe), a lot of the blame is on the players as well, most specifically LV. If I were an admin, I would probably end up treating players harshly considering how many reports are made repeatedly week after week for provoking,sharing IRL info, calling people "banana" and utter nonsense. All i'm saying is, I see where it came from.

I usually play in LV and feel like team chat should be disabled/removed. This would 100% remove all the complaints/threats/provoking being made.
« Last Edit: 04 06, 2018, 12:48:36 am by Vici »

Online Suix86

• Heartless
  • State Official
    Years
  • Group: KLM
  • Ingame: Suix86
  • Squad: Cupcakes
« Reply #13 on: 04 06, 2018, 12:47:44 am »
Such things like being completely strict for even the most minor mistake is really weird. Like to punish someone who likes you, your contributions.. your way of leading, someone (or even certain people) who's completely loyal to you and only your server for years, people who have spent shit ton of playtime hours because he/they really enjoy what you've created is weird I swear. Or to call half of the community "m**ons".. is even more harsh.

For sure many of the members in the server are young and their understanding how thing should work are not proper, and they may only think for what "they want" but I guess you must ignore such things and not overreact.
From that post, I just recognize how awesome you are and your way of thinking.

My suggestion here is, to not overreact to things that does not worth attention, but sometimes would be so so so nice if we see your "communicative side" in-game. We the "community" would love to be close with our head developer. I'm not saying that just because you've done MUCH for us.

Imagine how many player you can motivate by being communicative in-game. Not only you, of course.
Sorry if you offended from any of my sentences above.
You'll never see all the awesome things ahead of you, if you keep looking at all the bad things behind you. Sometimes you just have to turn around, give it a little smile, throw the match and burn that bridge. Live, learn and don't look back!
HIGH & CHILL

Offline OhhKarim

• Regular Community Member
    YearsYearsYears
« Reply #14 on: 04 06, 2018, 12:48:20 am »
I'm just shocked from what staff members were saying about me. I know I was a kid back in 2015-2016 and did much harm, but does that justify staff members (players that are meant to be mature) to make death threats on me? Telling I should be thrown to the lions, that I need to be executed, that they'd do the triumph on my dead body, that's plain messed up, no matter what you rank is. Players are out here getting 5 year mutes for telling a staff members 'fuck your mother' while he was probably just mad due to a recent event, yet staff members are making death wishes on me for things that happened in 2015, and it's all been passed innocently. I had some staff members in my FMSG and was talking to them like they were actual friends, just to have them share my logs and ridicule me for it. Thanks for making me doubt the staff members even more now.

When I was being a kid in 2015-2016, I could understand being insulted, but what am I doing wrong right now? I'm wasting my time trying to look for bugs so I could report them to get them fixed, to have a better experience for other players, and to compensate for my wrong past deeds. Then all I get in return is ''he is just doing it for ranks, powerwhore'' while I'm honest to God, doing it out of my own will because I want to show you that I'm a good person. I probably reported more bugs than the two players that got an Honorable rank for bug reporting, yet all my contributions aren't good and I'm still being insulted on the daily for stuff that happened years ago. Really sad, this is the kind of stuff that just crushes all your hope within seconds. It's also so wrong to say JaVa is unfair just and saying some updates were fake, he's helping Arran by fixing stuff on his own to prevent Arran's time. I could've sent each of those bugs that I sent to JaVa, to Arran. All bugs that I sent to JaVa, were talked about ingame, so it's not fake at all. This just makes me sad and angry at the same time, I really wanted to become a staff member to prove what potentional I hold, but I'm just being called a ''power-whore'' while it's just showing that I regret what I've done, and that I have entusiasm, I have no bad intentions what-so-ever.

Look at my contributions, this is even without the bugs that were not listed/too trivial/the bugs that haven't been fixed yet/the bugs that I didn't report yet. But I'm considered useless in the community and being insulted daily, and getting death threats. From staff members that are supposedly more mature than me, I didn't know making death threats was mature.
- Fixed cooldown of Teargas and Molotov not being displayed in LV. (JaVa + OhhKarim)
- Fixed being able to shoot and aim when getting back immediately from the AFK dimension. (JaVa + OhhKarim)
- Fixed blank message appearing above head if a nearby player uses a smiley in group, squad or unit chat. (Arran + OhhKarim)
- Fixed laggers not seeing damage at bottom right and in '/showattacks'. (Arran + OhhKarim)
- Fixed laggers taking more damage than they should. (Arran + OhhKarim)
- Fixed LV DM's top kills over death being wrong (maybe) also changed drug reward from 5 every 5th kill to 2 every kill. (Arran + OhhKarim)
- Fixed '/showattacks' GUI getting stuck if executing the command multiple times without closing the GUI. (Arran + OhhKarim)
- Fixed losing 1 nitrous when trying to, then failing to equip jetpack due to restrictions. (Arran + OhhKarim)
- Disabled fire shotgun as players don't like it's overpoweredness. (Arran + OhhKarim)
- Improved '/jhe update' and '/jhe info'. (JaVa + OhhKarim)
- Added "Escort The President" hourly event. (JaVa + OhhKarim + Vampire)
- Fixed LV DM area not showing on screen stats. (Arran + OhhKarim)
- Fixed GPS destination text not being visible for low-resolution users. (JaVa + OhhKarim)
- Fixed getting kill heal bonus if killing someone after already died and from suicides. (JaVa + OhhKarim + Tmax) - Satchels and grenades can't be thrown by players with ping higher than 400 ms. (Arran + OhhKarim)
- LV: Fixed sniper rifle not being instant switchable. (Arran + OhhKarim)
- Reduced minigun damage by 5%. (Arran + OhhKarim)
- Fixed the stolen goods you carry when stealing from a house being invisible. (Arran + OhhKarim)
- Added "Auto-aim" setting which lets you enable or disable auto-aim when you press left mouse button. (JaVa + OhhKarim)
- Fixed CITphone notes not saving the ':' and ';' characters. (Arran + OhhKarim)
- You are now able to bet more than $5,000 in /duel with a maximum value of $100,000 and a limit of 15 minutes every 3 duels. (JaVa + OhhKarim)
- Added 'Las Venturas Airport' map to /duel for both teams and single duels. (JaVa + OhhKarim + Vampire)
- Steroids won't double food healing if sprinting. (Arran + OhhKarim)
- Fixed being able to slide again with RPG and sniper. (JaVa + T0keN + OhhKarim)
- Fixed still being able to slide with sniper and RPGs. (JaVa + OhhKarim)
- Fixed triggering the RPG time limit while the rocket didn't even get fired. (JaVa + OhhKarim)
- Fixed being able to rapid fire by binding "next_weapon" and parachute in the same key. (JaVa + OhhKarim)
- Fixed being able to rapid fire by binding 'RMB' and 'LMB' in the same button. (JaVa + OhhKarim)
- Fixed being able to exploit grenades/satchels by using fist. (JaVa + OhhKarim)
- Fixed being able to cause desync by switching extremely quickly. (JaVa + OhhKarim)
- Fixed being able to cause desync with parachute by holding aim button and punching. (JaVa + OhhKarim)
- When in LV and using weapon binds, the weapon will now switch instantly instead of taking a fraction of a second, this is the last time I change this and as this had +53 votes nobody is allowed to complain about desync in LV ever again. (Arran + OhhKarim)
- Fixed being able to throw a projectile right after being AFK. (Arran + OhhKarim)
- Reduced the wait time between throwing grenades / satchels from 10 to 3 seconds. (Arran + OhhKarim)
- Fixed an exploit related to UAV and LV. (Arran + OhhKarim)
- Fixed various exploitable bugs. (Arran + Czyeth (3 bugs) + MicroSoft + Shesha + Shanu + Mahmoud + OhhKarim)
- Players can't exit an interior if they were attacked in the last 10 seconds. (Arran + OhhKarim)
- You can now store up to 100 RPG's in your vehicle inventory. (Arran + OhhKarim)
If you need help with unfairness cases, punishment appeals, injustice resolutions or complaints, then PM me!