Author Topic: A Simple Trick to Help Avoid "Chat Fails" and Other Command Fails  (Read 4727 times)

Qwazzy

This might be too simple a tip to qualify as a tutorial, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try.

It's fairly frequent to see someone perform a chat fail or other kind of command fail, as they're often referred to by the community. This is when you try to type a slash-command in the main chat (Pressing T) and when you mess up by forgetting the slash or misspelling the command, it gets posted to the chat instead. Example:

Player: gc I'm on my way
The player forgot to put in the slash (the "/" symbol) and it was posted to chat.

/gc I'm on my way
The command is typed correctly and will go to Group Chat properly instead of country chat.

It definitely helps to pay more attention to your typed words and proofread before pressing Enter. But that's not always going to happen - even if you mean to do so, a heated moment or exciting event in CIT might make you rush some messages and still make the mistake.

While the only way to actually avoid the error is being more careful, there's a way to prevent broadcasting your mistake to the chat:

Use the console!

The console is accessed by the ~ key (unless your bind is different I guess). The console isn't very useful most of the time when playing on CIT, but it does have some useful applications:

• You can bind commands to keys in a pretty quick manner, Example: (bind p djv (this will destroy your job vehicle when pressing P))
  • Checking brief notifications (If your radio station announces a song at the top and you miss it, check the console)

But to me, the most useful function of console is this = executing chat commands!

Why?

Because it's done almost identically, except the slash is not needed (the slash used in chat just tells MTA you're trying to use a command, whereas in console it's already implied your input is a command). And if you mistype your command or message, it won't post to chat - it'll just fail and do nothing at all.

So in the previous example, if trying to use the console:

/gc I'm on my way.
This won't work since the commands in console don't use slashes. Nothing will happen.

cg I'm on my way.
Misspelling. Nothing will happen.

gc I'm on my way.
The command will execute properly and your message "I'm on my way." will be posted to Group Chat.

The most important thing to consider when using the console for commands is that a failure will not post the failed command to chat! That way you don't have to apologize for it or be afraid of getting punished for doing that too often.

This is how I avoid chat fails. Hope it helps!

Offline Quartz

• CIT's Official Leopard
  • L2 Staff
  • Nyctophile
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Ingame: [CIT]Quartz[DT]
Re: A Simple Trick to Help Avoid "Chat Fails" and Other Command Fails
« Reply #1 on: 22 04, 2016, 02:23:35 am »
This is a nice guide for us. Thanks for making this ;)
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
Thou end come near in sad bitter face, without thy heart thy will and grace, like the flower who died in autumn night, whilst can bring thy death from cupids eye. - Me

Rexion

« Reply #2 on: 23 04, 2016, 06:52:24 pm »
@Qwazzy   Maybe it would be better to give SS of the ''Chat Fails'' in /gc, /ac and /sc.
i.e. Where everyone can understand that if you that mistake you will get warn/muted IG.
i.e. And if you apply the tricks you will not get in troubles. So, SS will explain this guide more and help to understand as well.

Qwazzy

« Reply #3 on: 24 04, 2016, 04:26:59 am »
@Qwazzy   Maybe it would be better to give SS of the ''Chat Fails'' in /gc, /ac and /sc.
i.e. Where everyone can understand that if you that mistake you will get warn/muted IG.
i.e. And if you apply the tricks you will not get in troubles. So, SS will explain this guide more and help to understand as well.

I could try to remember to take a screenshot next time I see one. Don't think I want to fake one in chat just for a screenshot.

But yeah, they could help out, that's true.

Offline K90

• Senior Community Member
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Ingame: K90
  • Squad: The_Expendables
« Reply #4 on: 24 04, 2016, 05:20:54 am »
Hello, watched your tutorial and I have something to add.

There's a feature that got added, it doesn't allow you to fail using a command and writing for example, on country chat, "7gc let's go to turf".
Let me give you an example, so you can understand what I'm trying to tell you.

-Before the feature got added:

Guy1:Hello everyone!
Guy2:7gc let's go to turf!
Guy2:Fail

-After the feature got added:

Guy1:Hello everyone!
Guy2:7gc let's go to turf!
But the message sent by the player won't appear, instead, the following message will be shown:
[Output] : Main chat message cannot start with 7/

So in fact, the feature doesn't let you "fail" using a command, which is kinda useful to avoid people getting punished for something related like flames, adverts, etc.
"In all our searching, the only thing we've found that makes the emptiness bearable is each other."  Carl Sagan

Qwazzy

« Reply #5 on: 24 04, 2016, 06:47:07 pm »
Hello, watched your tutorial and I have something to add.

There's a feature that got added, it doesn't allow you to fail using a command and writing for example, on country chat, "7gc let's go to turf".

Hm, I never noticed such a feature - is it only for certain chats or something? I still see the occasional chat fail in Country chat, so maybe it only detects certain kinds of errors? Wouldn't be surprised if I hadn't noticed it before since I always use the console.

Offline K90

• Ingame: K90
  • Squad: The_Expendables
« Reply #6 on: 24 04, 2016, 06:48:05 pm »
Hm, I never noticed such a feature - is it only for certain chats or something? I still see the occasional chat fail in Country chat, so maybe it only detects certain kinds of errors? Wouldn't be surprised if I hadn't noticed it before since I always use the console.
It works on Main Chat (T) and Team Chat (Y), Just used that yesterday, it's a great feature.
"In all our searching, the only thing we've found that makes the emptiness bearable is each other."  Carl Sagan

Offline ixi910

• Group: CvX by heart
  • Ingame: ixi910
« Reply #7 on: 24 04, 2016, 11:08:59 pm »
I tried it yesterday in my countrychat and you can't starts message with either 7/ or 7gc, 7sc etc. so this feature exists in my country chat... However messages can start with gc sc etc. which explains some of the fails there
I'm going to have to agree with Denos: "I stand with Goku & Coolit. Gave years of their lives to keep CIT active and happy. Screwed over and unjustly kicked."

Who am I? We'll find out in my introduction (updated on 12.05.2020)
ex-Assistant Head State Official -- ex-Punishment Appeal Manager

Offline Kowalski

• Junior Community Member
  • Unus pro omnibus... Omnes pro uno!
  • Ingame: RandomGuy
« Reply #8 on: 22 09, 2016, 06:03:31 pm »
Also if you want to talk to the group or the alliance you can also use J and pick group or alliance

Offline maxon1196

• The Perfectionist
  • Group: 1337
« Reply #9 on: 22 09, 2016, 06:52:21 pm »
You may add this to the binds:
/bind key chatbox gc
to open gc fast and avoid failure.
Ex. TaskForce Chief Warrant Officer ~ Ex. KLM Minister ~ Ex. State Official ~ Ex. L2 Staff
My Introduction

Offline MaZika.

• Outstanding Community Member
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #10 on: 08 10, 2018, 07:16:23 pm »
His account does not exist, thus locked.